Skip to main content

Lush: A Cosmetics Haul, part deux. Review and Swatches


I grabbed a few treats from the new Lush vegan cosmetics line, a lipstick and an eyeshadow. Super excited to wear my new treasures to work the next day, I came home to swatch the shades and unfortunately discovered that my eyeshadow has been tested by another customer in the store. Refusing to put something on my eye that was probably touching someone elses dirty hand, I returned the shadow and exchanged it for the Eyes Right mascara. A more appropriate choice for me, anyway.







This beautiful, gentle mascara using a fresh wheatgrass base which conditions, nourishes and strengthens the lashes. Japan and Carnauba waxes help the color set, thicken and hold on so it won’t smudge when you’re at the gym or in the rain. 

Inside a glass vessel, this black mascara features a traditional straight-style wand. The top, designed to mimic an eye dropper, is easy to hold during application and redip for more product. Removing the top, I find a decent amount of product on the wand and I am able to coat my entire upper lash line without needing more product. As with all first day mascaras, the product feels wet and it very light weight on it's debut application.

Mascara is on my right eye only, 2 coats.

After my first application and stand back and realize that one coat looks as though I have on no coats. I wait a minute for the first coat to set and then apply a second coat which easily builds on top of the first without looking cakey. I find the handle seems to be a challenge, not the formula. If it were .25" longer, it would be much easier to apply this product. I find that I have to hold the dropper style applicator top at a weird angle - when using it on my top lashes the black plastic cap actually hits my brow bone making in difficult to apply mascara to my inner lashes.


It seemed to be more awkward when it came to my lower lashes, I had to back bend my wrist so I ended up with a blob of mascara in the center of my lower lash line. Bottom line: I'm looking forward to using this over the next 3 months, especially since this is a readily-available vegan option and I hope I am able to work out the handle concerns. This is a rather expensive mascara, even though Lush brags it's packed full of product. Retailing for $18.95, it is a .2 oz vessel, just shy of 5g and just less than half the size of Maybelline Great Lash, which is .43 oz - 12 grams - for $5.25.  My initial rating is 4 out of 5 stars. I understand that you pay more for quality I just hope I am able to work out the kinks using this shorter than usual applicator.

In addition to the mascara, I chose a small jar of Charity Pot. This "Charitable cocoa butter cream that keep on giving". With 100% of the purchase price going to the charity represented on the vessel that I choose, I selected HoneyLove, a conservation organization with a mission to protect the honeybees by educating and inspiring urban beekeepers. Yes, every single penny of the purchase price goes to fund and support grassroots charities all around the world.


Lightweight, the scent is a pleasant mix of Fair Trade organic cocoa butter and the floral notes of ylang ylang. Very little cream is needed to moisturize. It penetrates quickly and doesn't leave an oily residue on my skin. The dry down feels more like liquid powder making this a great option for someone who doesn't like a greasy feeling.  But beware - if you are not into florals, this might not be the right lotion for you.

I purchased the 1.5oz pot for $5.00 in store. It's a perfect combo of a do-good and feel-good product. I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent skin shield during these cold winter months in San Francisco. Packed with ingredients like the highly emollient Sweet Almond oil which is rich in vitamins A, E and D. Cocoa butter, a rich source of antioxidants, especially vitamin E which soothes, moisturizes and heals the skin damaged by the wind and sun. And the fragrance of ylang-ylang. Rich and deep with notes of rubber and custard and bright with hints of jasmine and neroli. A great layering lotion, ylang-ylang blends well with most floral, fruit and wood smells, so don't be afraid to use this lotion in conjunction with your favourite fragrance, especially as it is reported to be an aphrodisiac!

How long have you been a Lushaholic? I first discovered this amazing brand in London, 1998 and couldn't be happier that I now have one 5 miles from my house! YUM!
xoxo
•Nancy-Lee

Popular posts from this blog

100 Jello Shots and Recipes by NomNomPalace

***REPOST ALERT*** * A L L * 1 0 0 * J E L L O * S H O T S * https://www.facebook.com/NomNomPalace I came across this post on Facebook and I wanted to share it with you. PLEASE click the link above and LIKE NomNomPalace !

Peanut Butter Cup Smores

Hi Beauty Army Troops!! I found this picture of Pinterest. This is not my recipe but I wanted you to have it for your own recreation! I introduce you, to Peanut Butter Cup Smores. Peanut Butter Cup S’mores Bars yield: 16 large/20 small squares Ingredients